Pages Navigation Menu
Categories Navigation Menu

Yum…Taco Bell Meat Contains Only 35% Beef, 57% Fat

taco bell nutrition

Honestly, it was pretty obvious that Taco Bell wasn’t serving high quality beef in it’s products. Lets be serious…it’s Taco Bell. What’s actually surprising though is that Taco Bell’s “seasoned beef” is not only fatty as hell, but it’s barely beef at all.

taco bell nutrition

Taco Bell was recently sued by an Alabama law firm for “falsely advertising” that its products contain seasoned beef. According to the USDA, taco filling has to contain at least 40% fresh meat to be legally marketed as beef…Taco Bell’s meat only contains 35% beef, short of the requirement. Seriously!?

What’s even worse is that 57% of that beef is fat. The next time you go to the grocery store check the meat section, the lowest protein-fat ratio you’ll find is probably something close to 65% protein-35% fat or 70% protein-30% fat…but 57% fat, really!?!?

Yuck. So if only 35% of Taco Bell’s meat is actually beef, what’s in the other 65%? Stuff like isolated oat product, maltodextrin, soy lecithin, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch, anti-dusting agent, sodium phosphate and seasonings. Basically artificial food additives, preservatives, and chemicals.

If you’re opting for fast food Mexican, at least have some regard for your body and go for Chipotle or Qdoba…they have real beef. You’ll save your stomach some misery and torment.

You can find the full story at WTOL11 and Yahoo! News.

Follow Lean It UP on Twitter for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info, and updates.

Bryan DiSanto

Owner & Editor-in-Chief at Lean It UP
Bryan DiSanto is the Owner & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP, ACE-CPT & CSN, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid, and all-around fitness/nutrition nutjob.

When he’s not working on his (or somebody else’s) abs, whipping up Eggocados, or running a Tough Mudder, he’s probably off yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
  • Bryan DiSanto

    I know right, how gross is that

  • Anthony DiSanti

    35% Beef * (100% - 57% Fat) = 15.05% Beef Protein.

    Taco Bell's "beef" is 15% beef. Wow.